[va-richmond-general] Yankee and southern Common Yellowthroats

  • From: WEalding@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:11:21 EDT

Some people have asked about my use of the term "Yankee and southern Common
Yellowthroats" so, here is my explanation.

Yankee Common Yellowthroats say "which-whichity-whichity-whichity" with the
stress on the first syllables.  Their southern counterparts say
"whichity-whichity-whichity" with the stress on the second syllables.

I really learned the difference when I was in Maine last year, at first I
didn't recognize the song!

What I have found this year is that all the yellowthroats that came in  early
in migration had the "Yankee" song.  They seem to have left now and  been
replaced by the ones I'm used to.

Wendy  Ealding
Powhatan County