[va-richmond-general] Re: Woodpecker noises on the house

  • From: WEalding@xxxxxxx
  • To: jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:30:11 EDT

We had a similar experience a number of years ago with a Flicker.   First
thing we knew about it was when we found pieces of insulation scattered  around
the yard.  We covered the opening by nailing the base of a coffee  can over it,
but I swear the bird was watching, since he then started another  hole about
five feet further up, out of reach of the ladder that we borrowed  from a
neighbor.  We tried all the usual things like hanging pieces of  foil, putting
up
a plastic great horned owl, none of which worked.   Eventually the bird gave
up as I guess it decided it wasn't a suitable nest  site.

Just be grateful it isn't a Pileated.  We had a pair attack a second  floor
window frame and ended up having to replace the window.  When we took  a photo
of the window to place the order for the replacement, we realized that  the
window was highly reflective and that the birds were probably attacking  their
reflection.  We hung a piece of screen cloth over the window and that  seemed
to do the trick.

Wendy  Ealding
Chesterfield County