[va-richmond-general] Re: Winter sparrow still here

  • From: "Bob" <rcs5701@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Richmond Birders'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:20:53 -0400

This weekend we noticed a very bright and beautiful sparrow below the
feeder.  It turned out to be a White throated sparrow -  bright white
stripes on the head and neon yellow at the front of the head.  Sibleys says
that adults of either sex can have either tan or white stripes on the head.
I guess that I am use to seeing the duller tan version because this one was
really bright.  I was surprised that this sparrow was still here, since I
typically think of them as winter sparrows (but it has been a weird
winter/spring).

Bob Siegfried