[va-richmond-general] White-lored ssp. YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER in Powhatan, 6/4/11

  • From: Wendy Ealding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:39:25 -0400 (EDT)

Highlight of this morning's Richmond Audubon field trip to Belmead in Powhatan
was a white-lored (Dendroica dominica albilora ssp.) Yellow-throated Warbler
which fed on the ground enabling us to get great looks at the loral color until
a highly territorial Acadian Flycatcher drove it off.  According to the Gold
Book, D.d.albilora is unusual in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain.

We also added a new species to the checklist for the property - Barred Owl.
One was possibly seen flying along Deep Creek as we drove in, and we definitely
heard a distant one calling from the River Trail.

Full species list:

Canada Goose     5
Great Blue Heron     1
Green Heron     1
Turkey Vulture     3
Red-tailed Hawk (Eastern)     1
Killdeer     2
Rock Pigeon     4
Mourning Dove     3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo     6
Barred Owl     1
Chimney Swift     5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Eastern Wood-Pewee     3
Acadian Flycatcher     4
Great Crested Flycatcher     1
White-eyed Vireo     1
Yellow-throated Vireo     2
Red-eyed Vireo     3
American Crow     8
Tree Swallow     1
Barn Swallow     7
Carolina Chickadee     2
Tufted Titmouse     4
Carolina Wren     1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     6
Eastern Bluebird     6
Northern Mockingbird     1
Brown Thrasher     1
Northern Parula     1
Yellow-throated Warbler (White-lored)     1
Prairie Warbler     2
Black-and-white Warbler     1
Prothonotary Warbler     3
Ovenbird     2