[va-richmond-general] Westmoreland County

  • From: "Lee Adams" <ladams42@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:44:30 -0500

On my way to Warsaw today I saw 2 Red-shouldered Hawks perched alongside Highway 3. At George Washington Birthplace skeins of Canada Geese filled the air. A Crow topped a tree with a pair of Bald Eagles in it. A male Northern Harrier eating lunch on the ground relocated ten yards further away when I stopped the truck to watch. Bufflehead were easy to spot in the Potomac off the beach. Goldfinches, Bluebirds and Robins crowded the edges of the road through the woods. At the picnic grounds there were tons of Tundra Swans in the cove.

I stopped at the Muse Rd. end of Rt. 624 near Flat Iron Corner on the way home. Several fields were filled with Canada Geese. The wind was brisk but I could see several Long-tailed Ducks, some Scaup, and some Common Goldeneye with more Bufflehead on the river. Back at George Washington Birthplace the Northern Harrier floated over the fields. A Red-tailed Hawk was watching the pond at the beach end of the road. I could only see one Bald Eagle this time, but an American Kestrel and a Red-shouldered Hawk evened things out.

Lee Loudenslager Adams
Fredericksburg, VA
ladams42@xxxxxxx