[va-richmond-general] Washington's Birthplace field trip

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:43:14 -0500

Last Saturday (2/12) I made a scouting run to George Washington's
birthplace in preparation for this Sunday's field trip. While I did not
find the numbers that were reported earlier in the month, I did find a
nice variety of waterfowl. Good numbers of Tundra Swans and a few Mute
Swans, plenty of Common Goldeneye, some Canvasbacks hanging out with
many hundreds of Canada Geese, and several Greater Scaup. The Ranger I
spoke with indicated that numbers on Pope's Creek were down because it
had been frozen over for about a week, but birds were returning with the
warmer weather, and I hope that situation will have improved by this
weekend. A complete list of species appears below.

As described in the Thrasher, we'll meet in the parking lot of the
Hanover Courthouse at 6:30am on Sunday and carpool from there. If you
miss us at the courthouse, I plan to start at the Visitor's Center, so
you can catch up with us there. If you're planning to join us, it would
be a good idea to let me know -- either by email or phone (320-7898).

See you Sunday!

Lewis Barnett
lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Complete trip list (2/12/2005):

Canada Goose
Mute Swan
Tundra Swan
Gadwall
Canvasback
Ring-necked Duck
Greater Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Rock Pigeon
Belted Kingfisher
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird

--
Lewis Barnett
Chair, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science