[va-richmond-general] Vulture killings - USDA response

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <VA-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"VA Bird listserv" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:52:19 -0400

Hi, all-
    I received this response today concerning vultures and vulture killings. I
only glanced at the report but it appears that they will continue to use lethal
methods of addressing the "vulture problem" in addition to non-lethal ones,
that an EIS is not necessary, and that killing them does not violate the
Migratory Bird Treaty Act (justification is given). If you follow the
instructions below to see the report, click the second report with "FONSI" at
the end of it (the first one is apparently 77 pp. long. My computer had
problems downloading it. The second one is only 13 pages).
Michael Shapiro
Henrico

Dear Stakeholder:

Thank you for your email about vultures.   I understand you are concerned
about the status of vulture populations as am I.  This is why I prepared
two environmental documents to analyze the impacts on vulture populations.
It is unfortunate that some incomplete information was posted on the world
wide web which caused you to email me.   I recommend you read the two
environmental documents about vulture damage management in Virginia so you
can make an informed decision.   The two documents can be found at
www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/pubs.html then click on Environmental Documents, the
click on Virginia.

The Wildlife Services program was created by Congress to reduce damage
caused by wildlife to protect agriculture, property, natural resources, and
human health and safety.  The program achieves its mission as a leader in
wildlife damage management by providing technical assistance, direct
management of problems, and research.   We work with local, state and
federal agencies, organizations, individuals, native Americans, and
businesses to achieve our mission.

You can look at the success of vultures in North America as another
wildlife success story.  While it is comforting to see another wildlife
species become abundant, there are new responsibilities that federal
wildlife managers incur when migratory birds becomes abundant.  The new
responsibility shifts from protection to management, because wildlife is a
public resource which must be managed for all.  Sometimes vultures cause
damage.  The Wildlife Services program is placed in the difficult position
to reduce damage and conflicts caused by abundant vultures.     We regret
to take action against vultures to reduce damage.   Fortunately, we can
reduce damage most of the time without harming vultures.

Thank you for your interest in vultures and this program.   Please take the
time to read the two vulture damage management documents so you can make an
informed decision about vulture management.

Martin Lowney
State Director, Virginia
USDA-APHIS-Wildlife Services
P.O. Box 130