[va-richmond-general] Virginia eBird has been launched

  • From: Larry R Lynch <birder6@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Richmond-General@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:57:06 -0400

Check out the new Virginia eBird site!

Larry Lynch
birder6@xxxxxxxx

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: "Spahr MD, John" <Jspahr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:59:55 -0400
Subject: Virginia eBird has been launched

Virginia is the latest state to have a portal on the national eBird site
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/.  It can be found at the bottom of the
right hand column under ?Regional Projects near you:? ? Virginia eBird.
Or direct via URL http://ebird.org/content/va/.

Both sites are worth exploring for interesting avian news.  The Virginia
site, co-hosted by Coastal Virginia Wildlife Observatory
http://www.cvwo.org/ and the Virginia Society of ornithology
http://www.virginiabirds.net/, includes articles about Virginia?s IBAs,
our Birding and Wildlife trails, Habitat Restoration on the Eastern
Shore, and Northern Saw-whet Owls in our western mountains.

Also note that Virginia is 8th in the nation in the number of checklists
submitted to eBird, which suggests that many are already using this
online checklist and database to record their bird counts.  We encourage
everyone to sign in as a user and start contributing to this valuable
source.  There is an easy to follow eBird tutorial under the ?About
eBird? tab.  It?s actually quite easy and fun to use.  After you?ve
entered your checklist you can select to have the summarized list
e-mailed back to you, which you can then post to this list serve.

We are in the process of updating and improving the filters for Virginia.
 This should make the accumulated data better and more reliable ? no more
Black-capped Chickadees from the coastal region, for example.

We welcome submission of articles for publication on this site.  These
should be informative pieces dealing with Virginia birds,
birding/ornithology or avian conservation.  High resolution images can be
submitted along with the articles.  Credit will be given to the author
and photographer.  Submit to John Spahr jspahr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John Spahr, VSO
Brian Taber, CVWO

.