[va-richmond-general] Virginia BioBlitz 2003

  • From: John Caroline Coe <johncaroline@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:17:58 -0400

On May 17-18, RAS members Julie Kacmarcik, Margaret Ebbs, & John and
Caroline Coe participated in the 2003 Virginia BioBlitz at Douthat State
Park (DSP).  Paul Bedell was to be the Bird Team leader, but a scheduling
conflict prevented him from leading us in the rainy mountains.

The Virginia BioBlitz is intended to raise public awareness of the
state's incredible biodiversity. BioBlitz is designed as part contest,
part festival, part educational event, and part scientific endeavor. It
also provides an opportunity for professional biologists, students, and
naturalists to work together in the field. Survey teams include plants
(vascular and non-vascular), vertebrates (reptiles, amphibians, fishes,
mammals, birds) and invertebrates (spiders and their kin, butterflies and
moths, dragonflies and damselflies, and beetles).

Located in Bath County just north of Clifton Forge off Interstate 64, DSP
should have provided a wonderful opportunity to survey the flora and
fauna of the Alleghany Mountains in western Virginia.  But, all that
being said, it was a very rainy and cool weekend when birds mostly didn't
sing, and when they did fly among the trees they were almost impossible
to pick out because the rain drops moved the leaves constantly.

Our totals were dismal - on 54 species.  The compensation came from great
company and the chance to see some amazing wildlife and plants.

I'm adding our bird list, as we reported it for the compilation - so you
see another part of our challenge!

Caroline & John

Actitis macularia
Agelaius phoeniceus