[va-richmond-general] Re: [Va-bird] Raven in James River Park - Richmond

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:41:15 -0400

There have been ravens seen downriver past the floodwall in recent years and
there was some speculation that they nest in a quarry out that way. Can't
remember all the road names from the time I spent looking for them, but I do
remember seeing that the quarry appeared to have a fledgling program similar
to what Sue Dudley handles at Vulcan in the West End.  I think it was east
of I-95.  A general location to start looking was given by Brent Tarter in
Feb. 2008:

"In the 1400 block of  Commerce Road between the intersections
of Ingram and Bruce Streets. There is a very large vacant lot on the
west side of Commerce Road and a vast expanse of empty tobacco

warehouses there."

Not sure where this raven came from, but it would be great if it was
homegrown!  Just a female common merganser along Riverside this am.  The
blue wings were apparently a one day wonder.  The COME kept flapping up to a
horizontal branch above the water but never landed on it.  Do they sit up in
trees?  Never seen it, but that doesn't mean much!  :-)

Jan

  _____