[va-richmond-general] Re: [Va-bird] Black bellied Whistling Duck

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'va-bird'" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'RAS List'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 23:53:17 -0400

Glad you had a good visit with that coy little duck, and no, not sick of it.
I will look for your container since I live around the corner and go by
every chance I get.  For all you fans of mute swans--they have been observed
killing goslings at this pond by George Freeman, the very nice CEO who saw
the BBWD fly in the first day and reported it to RAS.  His office overlooks
the pond and he is apparently a duck aficionado for many years.  There has
also been much wondering about the disappearance of ducklings in that pond,
though turtles are a possibility.  While I was there with Arun, Lewis, and
Fenton the first few hours after the duck arrived, one of the swans moved in
with a threat posture near the BBWD and there was a tense moment as we
wondered what might happen next.  If memory serves, George moved in with
food on the water and all was calm.  The massive head and neck muscles were
really in striking contrast next to a BBWD.  Add this to the Maryland swan
article that said they can eat about 8 lbs. of native Bay grass per
day........  They do appear to be afraid of the GB heron.  It will sometimes
keep ducks, geese, and swans away from bread on the water and catch the fish
that rise up to eat the bread!  Very amusing.  Sorry I missed you guys.

Jan