[va-richmond-general] VCU Ornithology lab and migrants

  • From: Lesley P Bulluck <lpbulluck@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 14:29:34 -0400

I took my ornithology lab out to Reedy Creek and the Wetlands this morning
and we saw a few good species that suggests spring migration is upon us.
Interestingly, many of the migrants were not vocalizing, but foraging
actively in the few trees with budding leaves.

Reedy Creek:
Northern Parula
Prothonotary Warbler
Field Sparrow on the edge of the meadow.
Palm Warbler (2)

Wetlands:
Pine Warblers singing
Yellow-throated warblers (5+) singing
blue-gray gnatcatcher (1)

We also got a nice look at a Hermit thrush singing softly and lots of
singing Ruby-crowned Kinglets

I hoped to show the class a Louisiana Waterthrush, but did not have any
luck. Are there any reliable places to see these guys near the city?

Enjoy this beautiful weekend....should make for some good birding!

Lesley
Lesley Bulluck, PhD
Department of Biology and Center for Environmental Studies
Virginia Commonwealth University
Trani Life Sciences Building, 028
Richmond, VA 23284
phone:804-828-0072