[va-richmond-general] Unusual Hummer

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audubon listserve" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 22:14:55 -0400

We have had a juvenile male RTHU hanging around our feeder the last few days.
This one acts differently from any others we have seen, and looks different
too. The gorget is just starting to show, but he also has a white patch that
completely covers the top of his head. Otherwise he looks normal. He perches at
the feeder and occasionally drinks but mostly just looks up at about a 45
degree angle. Until a female comes by that is. Sometimes he chases her off, but
sometimes lets her drink for a few seconds. He acts as if he has had a head
injury or something because he has bumped into the window a couple of times,
fairly lightly. I got some good closeups if anyone wants a peek.

Al Warfield