[va-richmond-general] Tuesday Birding

  • From: Diane Jadlowski <djadski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:05:18 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday Twitters-Come join us in our discoveries of nature.

We bird once a week and travel all over Virginia. We have been to the James River, Henricus Historical Park/Dutch Gap, George Washington's Birthplace, the battlefields, the Blue Ridge Mountains, Thomas Jefferson's home, Robious Landing, Hollywood Cemetery, boat ride up the Rappahannock River and many more places. We meet and car pool to our destinations. If it an all day event we pack lunches and we always have a great time exploring new areas along the way We take note of flora and fauna, historical sites and even learned to play disc golf on one of our outings. Great opportunities to take pictures also.

We usually meet on Tuesday afternoons in winter and Tuesday mornings in summer but sometimes we change days and go on a Saturday or a holiday so I maintain an email list to let everyone know what is happening and to see if you can join us. Email me at djadski@xxxxxxxxx

Birds are an intimate part of our natural world and so fun to watch their behavior and record sightings. Thanks to many people this is an excellent opportunity for citizen science. We send our information to Ebird which is at Cornell University in New York. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology and National Audubon Society have teamed up to make this important database happen and to continue this tool that maintains a huge database of bird information. They track movement and see problems and trends in areas via this data. It reveals new species in areas and the danger of extinction in others.

We record the birds we see while we are out then enter it in the computer when we get home. eBird has some great features. You can keep track of your bird lists as some people want to remember the species they have seen. You can explore dynamic maps and graphs to study what is happening to our environment and the movement of birds: even reveal possible problems in certain areas. Most important you can help contribute to science and conservation Share your sightings and join the *eBird* community. Check it out at http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology has other special citizen science projects you can join online.

Project Feederwatch Nov 13 to April 8, 2011 in partnership with Bird Studies Canada http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/

The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 18 to 21, 2011 in partnership with Bird Studies Canada and Audubon http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/howto.html

Thanks,
Diane Jadlowski