[va-richmond-general] Tidbits

  • From: "IE Ries" <featherchaser@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "RAS" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:59:13 -0400

  A little birdy news...

  Well, my three little baby wrens were up and gone by the weekend...shame, I
wanted to sneak a photo of those fuzzy little faces in as keepsake.  Haven't
seen the parents have have heard Carolina's still trilling and scolding in the
vicinity so maybe it's them.

  There are presently 6 American Goldfinches cooperatively playing nice and
vacuuming in the niger thistle seeds from the "seed sock" feeder out front just
now.  Not only have I never seen as many finches on that feeder at one time,
but they weren't trying to chase each other off, either, and that's a first!
Usually if there's more than 2 on there at once, the chasing ensues.
Everyone's so hungry and so nice to each other...must mean a weather change.
Anyone else seen this?

  The Bully Male Ruby-throated was out-smarted by the two females at my feeder.
 They've managed to stop in a get a few meals while either luring him away or
when he's not up on his guardpost, and good on them!  For those Hummie
enthusiasts, how long do you usually keep your feeders up in this area?  I was
thinking early October, but what's been your observations?

  The pair of Green Herons are back at the little lake in the neighborhood
where I live, and they were flying laps and clucking loudly there on Sunday.
Nice to have them back, they've been here the past two summers (and just humour
me and let me think it's the same two characters, even if they aren't,
alright?).

  Hiked with Jan Johnson at Dutch Gap on Tuesday; Great Egrets there at last.
Haven't seen as many there this year as in the preceeding few years.  Nice to
have them back again (even if the Great Blues aren't happy about it!).

  While hiking at Pocahontas yesterday, I spied a female Ruby-throated dancing
amongst the Orange jewelweed and Cardinal flower, sipping nectar.  Very lovely
to watch, and of course, no camera.  Figures.  Spied a female Kingfisher as
well, perched on an overhanging tree pretty far back up the creek system.

  Well, since the list's been a little quiet I thought I'd post something
bird-related.  See you all soon at the meeting or whatever.

  Irene in Southside