[va-richmond-general] Thurs, Nov 13 Dutch Gap; yard birds

  • From: "Rachel Echols" <rlechols@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:20:33 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I dropped by the marsh at Dutch Gap yesterday just before lunch.I stayed for
about an hour before the heavy rain started.  I saw pretty much the same
things the group on Wed saw, with these two additions:

Palm Warbler
Gadwall

The past few days I've had a good assortment in the yard, including white
throated sparrows, chipping sparrows, thrasher, hermit thrush, ruby-crowned
kinglet, and yellow-bellied sapsuckers.  This morning, while backing the car
out of the garage to take the kids to the bus, I noticed a bird in the
garage,  thrashing around trying to get out through the window pane on the
side door.  We went to investigate and found it was a beautiful hermit
thrush.  By then he was sitting on the floor, and he let me just pick him
up.  Of course, then he started to struggle.

Thankfully, we've attended enough bird bandings that we knew how to hold him
properly without hurting him.  I took a couple of quick pics and then
escorted him to the back yard where we released him.  He didn't appear to be
hurt, only tired, as he flew away without a problem.  I won't soon forget
the feel of his silky body in my hand and the quick beating of his precious
heart.  I'm in a hurry now, but will post a picture of the little guy later
today.

Good birding,

Rachel Echols
Chester, VA