[va-richmond-general] Sunday birding and fox question

  • From: ben saunders <betsyben@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 18:10:33 -0500

          The gulls are coming!  We saw thousands of gulls on the James
from the bluff at Chipoaks Plantation.  There were Laughing Gulls,
Herrings and Black Backs, but most of the huge flock were Ring-bills. (
Headed for Richmond parking lots no doubt.)
         A swing through Shirley produced many Horned Larks and hundreds
of Pipits in the corn fields along the main road.
        They are pumping water into one of the fields and have created a
great habitat for ducks and shorebirds. We saw Shovelers, GW Teal, Coots,
Gadwalls, Ring-necks, Ruddys and Mallards.  From the opposite side, along
the road to the trash port, we climbed the berm and scoped out the mud
flats.  No Golden Plover, but we saw four Pectoral Sandpipers along with
Semi -palmated Plovers, Dunlin,  Peeps,  (Western this time of year?) one
Least and many many Killdeer.
         We also saw two fox, one gray and one with red on his front half
and gray on the back.  Do they hybridize or was this two- toned fox just
growing out his winter coat? Are they all gray in the winter?

Betsy and Ben Saunders