[va-richmond-general] Re: Summer Birds

  • From: "Al & Linda Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:24:42 -0400

Here in Meadowbrook, Southside, we have had all the birds Lewis mentioned pretty regularly plus a few others. I heard a White-eyed Vireo one day last week, and we have a pair of Gray Catbirds with at least one juvenile. We have visits from a female Hairy Woodpecker to our suet log most days, and several pairs of Red-bellied Woodpeckers with their kids. Great Blue Herons and Belted Kingfishers regularly work Falling Creek behind our house. We occasionally have visits from Coopers, Sharp-shinned, and Red-tailed Hawks, and Barred Owls now and then. At infrequent times we have heard Common Yellowthroats, Woodcocks, Louisiana Waterthrushes, and Green Herons. Falling Creek is lined with trees and brush, making it a corridor that birds use to move from place to place.

Al & Linda Warfield

Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:27 AM
Subject: [va-richmond-general] Re: Summer Birds

I've been watching young Downy Woodpeckers, Cardinals, Chickadees, Titmice, White-breasted Nuthatches, Towhees, House Finches, and Wrens around my feeders for the past few weeks. I am still hearing Great Crested Flycatchers "wheep wheep"ing, but seldom see them. Yesterday, one of the resident Red-shouldered Hawks was sitting in one of the pines out my kitchen window, but had moved along by the time I got back with the binoculars. Hummingbirds have been around, but seem pretty scarce this summer at my house.

(I live in the Stony Point area, a few blocks behind the Huguenot Road U... uh, Martins.)

--
Lewis Barnett
lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jun 27, 2010, at 8:35 PM, Caroline Coe wrote:

Summer backyard birds:

The Chipping Sparrows are constant visitors now.
The chickadees take the most baths.
The Cooper's Hawks are overhead for the second summer season.
Indigo Buntings used to show up in the spring and move on; for the past 2 summers they are here during breeding season - suspect the neighbor who cleared trees down by the creek opened up an area for them. The cowbird young is being fed by Carolina Wrens (!!) this year (what an odd coupling of styles!). In the past we've watched Song Sparrows and Chipping Sparrows feed a fledgling cowbird. Changes have moved the Barred Owls and Red-shouldered Hawks further away so we don't hear them often and have not heard the young Barred Owls at all.
We hear a White-eyed Vireo way off in the bottomlands.

It's VERY HOT!!  and dry.

Caroline Coe
Chesterfield County, VAYou are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send email to va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit, //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.