[va-richmond-general] Students Baybound Trip from Rockingham Co. to Tangier Is.

  • From: Larry R Lynch <birder6@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Richmond-General@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:09:45 -0400

Hey everybody... this is really cool.  Check out the webpage and daily
trip notes...

Chesapeake Bay Foundation and Students from Turner Ashby High...
---------------------
<edited>
On June 24th, an extraordinary undertaking began that desperately needs
your help. Please read on, as the Chesapeake BayFoundation needs
your help in connecting us to your friends. This is Fun!

  The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is launching an expedition where 16
upcoming juniors and seniors from Turner Ashby High School in Rockingham
County, Virginia, are paddling from their home town, at the beginning of
the South Fork of the Shenandoah River, all the way to Tangier Island,
Virginia. These students, who are also members of FFA (Future Farmers of
America), will paddle 355 miles in 30 days. Along the way, they will
participate in outreach events, meeting with political leaders, farmers
and philanthropists. The purpose of the expedition is to get these
students to tell their story of the Chesapeake, upfront and personal.

  These kids are potential rock stars. (Check out their bios on
www.baybound.org http://www.baybound.org They are graduates of CBF's
investment in Rockingham County, the breadbasket of Virginia, and ground
zero for nutrient pollution. They have participated in countless CBF
programs, and have endured blood, sweat, and tears as they have fenced
cattle out of streams, created fish habitat, and restored miles of stream
banks. Their efforts to Save the Bay, coupled with unbridled enthusiasm
for learning and sharing, have just begun. These kids are on a journey.
The reward will be a life changing adventure. They are rewarded with four
college credits. The reward for the Bay is bigger. It is on their backs
that the Bay will be saved.

  This is reality TV, but much better. The world, through daily web
postings of the student's journals, and interactivity through questions
and
answers on our web site, will be able to participate in this expedition.
The world will also get a glimpse at a real science investigation. A
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration water quality monitoring
device will be towed 355 miles from fresh to salt waters, beaming a
signal to satellite, and to our web site every 15 minutes, allowing the
world to touch and feel the good, bad, and ugly of the Bay .

  We need help in getting the word out on Expedition Chesapeake. America
has recently witnessed the power of the internet to organize, through the
moveon.org and Howard Dean campaigns. Here is an opportunity for you to
participate in a campaign every bit as important.

  We are trying to get 1,000,000 people to daily log on to
www.baybound.org ... http://www.baybound.org and be part of the journey
with these student environmental rock stars. We think we can capture
America's hearts and minds, as visitors to the site share the blood,
sweat, tears, and
ultimately exhilaration, of these kids, as they paddle 355 miles, for 30
days, telling the story of the Bay.

  Here is our request, if you are willing to help. First, log on to
www.baybound.org http://www.baybound.org, and read the biographies of
these
kids.......feel their power. Second, send this e-mail to 20 friends, and
ask them to send to 20 again. We think these kids will add value to your
life and the lives of your friends. We are certain that you and your
friends will add value to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, as we look to
broaden our support in advance of ramping up our efforts to curb runoff
to the Bay.

  Thank you for your help. We need you. Please help us reach 1,000,000
people that will today participate in this Expedition Chesapeake, and
tomorrow help us get this Bay Saved!

  Jeff Corbin,
  Chesapeake Bay Foundation

.