[va-richmond-general] Strange Bluebird Behavior

  • From: LanningWB@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:34:10 EDT

I have had Bluebirds for years, but have never seen this.

There is a male that has been bumping against my sliding glass door  and
hanging on the door frame for the last few days.  He is not  hitting the door
hard
enough to hurt himself.  There is a female  staying nearby and they appear to
be mating when the male is not bumping  into the door.  The male took a break
from the door yesterday but instead  continued the same activity with my
truck outside mirror, leaving a fecal mess  to clean up.  Today he is back at
the
door.

I know Pileated Woodpeckers will fight their reflection and I am  wondering
if this is what the Bluebird is doing.  Does anyone have any  thoughts or have
seen Bluebirds act this way before?

Tx,
Wade