[va-richmond-general] Re: Something funny

  • From: "Bob Reilly" <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 13:32:56 -0400

Irene,

If the four in the dish were brownish with buffy wingbars and heavily
streaked, then they could have been juveniles, as the house finch starts
breeding very early.  There are egg records from Fairfax and Lynchburg on
March 30-31 and Winchester and Arlington records of March 16th.  It is very
unlikely that such early juveniles would be done with their postjuvenal molt
yet, but certainly possible that they could have started it and thus be
showing some signs of color etc.  Some house finches are suspected of
undergoing a complete postjuvenal molt so that by, say the end of May, they
could be essentially indistinguishable from adults in the field.  Failing
that, I'm don't have any knowledge of whether house finches retain family
grouping into the spring with the young from last year still begging off the
adults.  Wouldn't seem to be out of the question in a non-migratory species.
Look closer at the plumages and note whether any feather groups appear to be
coming in.

Bob