[va-richmond-general] Sipping Cedar Waxwings

  • From: "Richard Taranto" <rktaranto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:36:24 -0500

This afternoon in Church Hill I observed 20-30 cedar waxwings (and a few robins
and sparrows) taking turns sipping sap that was seeping from holes that
appeared to have been made by a sap sucker in a maple tree.  Is it common for
waxwings to do this?  They must have been enjoying it as we approached to
within 15 feet of them.

There was also another flock of at least 50 waxwings and many robins eating
holly berries in the same area.

RIchard Taranto