[va-richmond-general] Shockoe Bottom martin roost, 8/9/09

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'RAS List'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 21:25:47 -0400

Tonight a little after 8:05 I tried counting the birds as they went into the
trees.  Estimating by hundreds, I got 3900.  Forgot my phone, so I did not
get the ending time.  There were no raptors tonight to complicate things and
the birds are more organized now.  There has been some activity lately over
near McDonald's, but when I walked over there it seemed that the martins
were mistaking starlings perched on buildings and wires for martins.  As
soon as they realized it was not their own kind, the martins would take off
and leave.  They are not really paying attention to the trees near there,
just the perched birds.  From 17th and Grace you can sometimes see a
beautiful funnel cloud formation of martins over those buildings.  Last
night Arun Bose detected a kestrel, which I would have missed, plus there
was peregrine and red tailed activity.  Did not make it there this morning.

Jan

Richmond