[va-richmond-general] Shirley Plantation, Fri March 20

  • From: "Rachel Echols" <rlechols@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:21:43 -0400

I drove through Shirley Plantation yesterday.  Highlights were a large flock
of PIPITS, two HORNED LARKS, two WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS and YELLOWLEGS sp.
Two OSPREY were perched near the Benjamin Harrison Bridge, apparently ready
to start nest building efforts.  I also saw 4 BALD EAGLES, several SAVANNAH
SPARROWS, a RED-TAILED HAWK, and a PINE WARBLER.  Other suspects were the
usual, with MOCKINGBIRDS perched everywhere in conspicuous places singing.
Waterfowl included SHOVELERS, RING-NECKS, BUFFLEHEAD, RUDDIES.

Pictures of the osprey, white-crowned sparrow, horned lark are here:
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g223/rlechols/

Rachel Echols

Chester, VA