[va-richmond-general] Second Wednesday Walk at Shirley Plantation

  • From: John Caroline Coe <johncaroline@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:06:11 -0500

It was a beautiful morning with mist on the James and sunlight on the
autumn leaves.  And, we were greeted with lots of "little-birds" activity
in the trees around the parking lot.  Mostly they were Yellow-rumped
Warblers, Juncos, Chipping and White-throated Sparrows, and Chickadees.
We had two very accommodating Palm Warblers slowly feeding along the rail
fence,very close and very nicely lighted in the morning sun.  In all we
sighted 44 species of birds, if you don't count the chickens, and three
woodchucks and men and women on horseback chasing fox. Bird highlights
were Bald Eagles,including a pair of young eagles sparing in the sky
overhead; a very fine male Northern Harrier circling low over our heads;
a bunch of Killdeer; several American Pipits; Meadow Larks, Ruby-crowned
Kinglets, and a fair number of ducks in very bad light and hard to
identify. We were able to identify Northern Shoveler, Ruddy,Gadwall, and
one lone Redhead (the duck, not the one on the horse).  It was pretty odd
that we spotted only one goose and not even one Great Blue Heron.

John Coe