[va-richmond-general] SWAINSON'S THRUSH, NORTHERN HARRIER at Amelia WMA 9/16/09

  • From: Wendy Ealding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:56:14 -0400

A couple of interesting species this morning, and my first?for this location -
SWAINSON'S THRUSH and NORTHERN HARRIER.? Much of the bird activity was confined
to a row of fruiting trees along the gravel road northeast of Saunders Pond,
elsewhere very quiet.? The GREAT EGRETS at Amelia Lake are probably the same
two that we often see on our lake about a mile away in Powhatan, since they
weren't here this morning.

Two items of non-avian interest.? A month or two ago, a large tree blew down
across the gravel road along the eastern edge on Saunders Pond.? The staff have
since removed this, along with several other live trees/shrubs at the edge of
the pond - why beats me, this was probable nesting habitat for songbirds.? Now
there are signs of fresh beaver activity at one of the few remaining trees.?
There were also numerous calling amphibians, probably tree frogs.

Full Species list:

Location:???? Amelia WMA - PHP01
Observation date:???? 9/16/09
Number of species:???? 21