[va-richmond-general] Re: Rose-breasted Grosbeak and others

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cccoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Richmond Birds'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:46:10 -0400

Four days in a row, Monday through Friday, we saw a different bird: M,
Hummingbird; T, Eastern Towhee; W, Pileated Woodpecker; R, Catbird; F,
Indigo Bunting. Then on Saturday the streak was broken. No new birds. But
today it resumed! Yet another bird.

This time it's a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, like the one you saw. It had a
thick yellow bill, a red bib, and black and white on its back. It looks like
no other bird in our bird book, not even a Towhee. It's the first
Rose-Breasted Grosbeak I have even seen.

So will this streak continue (now 6 out of 7)? Will I see a Red-eyed Vireo
or a Great-creasted Flycatcher, a Pine Siskin, or a Baltimore Oriole? My
bird books say that it is transient, that it is headed for more northerly
areas. But is the range expanding southward?

It seems that 4 out of the 5 chickadees are hatched - I still see an egg in
the nest.

Jim Blowers

  _____