[va-richmond-general] Robins and a sparrow

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:02:11 -0500

Have any of you seen robins near your house? I mean like a few hundred of
them at once? Two mornings in a row I have heard loud constant chatter at my
house. I go outside and find the trees full of robins. Today I found about
12 robins hopping around on the driveway across the street. What's causing
them to flock here? We do have holly bushes and a pear tree with fruit on
it.

Also I heard some outlandish news from the Netherlands. A house sparrow was
killed by an air rifle because it flew near some dominoes in a row and
knocked over 23,000 of them with one swoop. I was surprised to find that
this bird, a nuisance here and not protected by law, is on the endangered
species list in the Netherlands. Can't we ship a few hundred of them there?

Jim Blowers