[va-richmond-general] Robins & Berries

  • From: "Jody Taggart" <j.taggart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:21:59 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I moved here last July and have been on the mailing list enjoying the
information and stories others have posted. I wanted to tell you about an
interesting thing here.

When we moved into this subdivision I was disappointed about the lack of
trees in our yard. We  moved to a much smaller yard than we previously
owned. But the one good thing in the yard is a 30 ft. holly tree outside my
kitchen window. Being from the north I had never seen a holly TREE -only
shrubs.

So this beautiful tree has grown lovely red berries and it was so full that
the branches have been hanging lower than usual. Refilling the feeders in
the yard I wondered why the berries hadn't been eaten yet.

Friday I came home with the kids to find hundreds of Robins in the yard
going crazy eating the berries. Less than 24 hours later there was not a
berry to be found. Of course there is alot of evidence of all the berry
eating everywhere....

We saw several Cedar Waxwings as well.. one of my favorites.

Is it the ripeness of the berries that prompted the feeding? Or maybe the
birds just finally found the tree?

I haven't found time to visit many other birding spots except for Meadow
Farm and Three Lakes so if anyone has recommendations I would love to hear
them.  I live near Virginia Center Commons.

Jody