[va-richmond-general] Robin attacks hawk

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Richmond Birds'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:45:50 -0400

In May I moved from Chester to Bon Air. Since then I have found at near our
feeders, hummingbirds, grackles, squirrels, chipmunks and mourning doves are
less frequent, and house finches, starlings, mockingbirds, and
red-shouldered hawks are more frequent. There is a red-shouldered hawk or
two constantly in the area but only once have they visited our feeder area.

Today I saw something really unusual. I saw a hawk standing in a lawn across
the street after my run, so I went over to take a look, and it flew up in a
tree. I found the hawk there, and heard a sharp "chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp"
sound. The hawk's beak did not go well with the sound. Sure enough, another
look revealed a robin slightly higher in the tree that was making the sound.
All at once, the robin swooped down and buzzed the hawk, making contact with
the big bird. It didn't move, and the robin parked about 3-4 feet higher in
the tree than the hawk, and started to chirp again.

I think the hawk was a juvenile red-shouldered hawk, for it had no color but
otherwise matched the markings of a red-shouldered hawk.

Jim Blowers