[va-richmond-general] Riverside Drive ducks 11/30/09

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:22:33 -0500

This time there were 28 buffleheads just upriver from the Z Dam at about
4pm.  Lots of DCCOs, geese, and more mallards than I have been seeing, plus
a couple of PBGRs on the return trip.  I will update when I can about
further winter duck arrivals, but it is not that convenient to get over
there, the city traffic engineer has apparently decided that Riverside Drive
takes pressure off other commuter routes and merits a higher speed limit
than the old 15 mph signs, and I am weary of the cranky emails about the
format I choose to use for posting.  If someone "hates" banding codes they
should delete my posts and do their own daily driving.  Otherwise, google
"bird banding codes" and learn something.  Ask nicely, and a number of
people on this listserve will gladly spend time helping you.

If anyone has info about the city engineer it would be interesting, but I am
not looking to coordinate an effort to slow things down.  JROC, Friends of
JRPS (correct name?) and others may already be working on something.  If I
receive info I will forward it to cycling groups (so far the SHARE THE ROAD
signs remain), etc.  Kathy Graziano and Tom Flynn (the engineer) are obvious
people to talk to.  With the now-missing 15 mph signs it was not at all
uncommon to have tailgating, 40-50 mph speeding, etc.  Plus you have the
joggers, bikers, and baby strollers in the road and up against fences, and
the occasional broken/sunken pavement.  This is clearly not an appropriate
commuter route.  The stretch from Pony Pasture up to the Huguenot Bridge is
the portion of Riverside I am referring to.  Have a great evening.  Maybe
the rain will put down more ducks...

Jan

Richmond