[va-richmond-general] Riverside Dr. TRES, The Wetlands (JRPS) BDOW

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:25:12 -0500

Yesterday afternoon and evening the river and the Wetlands were nearly
bereft of birds, so I tried again this afternoon.  There were the usual 6
grebes in their favorite plant mat (4 and a beaver yesterday), plus 2 more
grebes downstream.  A female RNDU was near them, a pair of RNDUs was down by
the Z Dam, and there were the usual buffleheads, mallards, and geese in
small numbers.  The 2 canvasbacks were again sleeping on the quarry pond
after disappearing during the storm.  I was surprised to see about 50 tree
swallows drinking in flight as they went upriver at the dam-they looked like
flying was a real struggle, and I have to wonder if they are new birds or
remnants of the bigger flock I saw the day before the snowstorm hit.  Though
it is lovely to see their backs light up when the sunlight hits them, I
can't imagine what they are finding to eat.  Do birds routinely get caught
in weather like this and survive every year as they head north, I wonder?
At the Wetlands, I saw a dog walker who loves barred owls about as much as I
do, and he told me where he heard them on his way in.  My crunching boots
drowned out the pair until I stopped on my way out.  One hooted back to me a
couple of times.  Checking all the usual nest holes hasn't paid off yet.
There were few other birds, but one great blue did flush from the creek.
The dog walker told me about another birder who apparently saw barn swallows
flying upriver yesterday.  Not sure about that ID.  The snow is pretty, but
spring can arrive anytime it wants!  Have a great evening!

Jan

Richmond