[va-richmond-general] Riverside Dr. (JRPS) SWALLOWS

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:53:21 -0500

At mid-morning I decided to get out along Riverside and walk.  With a few
tiny snow flakes falling I started upriver from the Pony Pasture lot and
before I got to the quarry pond I realized there was a rather large number
of swallows high overhead.  From the tails and what little color I could see
in the less than ideal light it appeared to be mostly rough wings with maybe
tree swallows mixed in.  I can't imagine what they are finding to eat up
there with the current weather, but as the rain started and got worse they
continued to fly high above me.  If it is not the same flock of birds
working its way back and forth, then there were at least 200 or so working
their way upriver.  None of them came down near the water--maybe they are
migrating straight through?  Seems awfully cold and early!  If someone gets
them in a scope I would love to hear about it.

Jan