[va-richmond-general] Re: Richmond Audubon field trip to Pocahontas State Park, 4/11/2015

  • From: "James Shelton" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "james_shelton32@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 18:03:49 -0400

I think an Osprey is building a nest on the tower at the entrance to Larus
Park.

James Shelton
Sent from my iPod Touch.

On Apr 11, 2015, at 1:29 PM, Wendy Ealding (Redacted sender
"wealding@xxxxxxx" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

18 participants including visitors from Ontario and India turned out to hike
the Beaver Lake Trail this morning. A beautiful morning after last evening's
storm, which raised the water level of the lake and feeder creeks so that we
had to ford in a couple of places. It took us an hour to get out of the
immediate area of the parking lot, thanks to an enormously cooperative Hermit
Thrush that had me fooled with its mewing Catbird or Towhee like call. Then
there were three entertaining Red-headed Woodpeckers. Ovenbird (new arrival)
was the first bird that I heard when I arrived. Surprises were the female
Blue-winged Teal seen in flight and the four female Hooded Mergansers still
present. Canada Geese are nesting. Lots of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, almost
as many as we had on this week's trip to Radcliffe Conservation Area. There
must have been a good flight of them this week. Very vocal and visible
Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Common Yellowthroat captivated the group.

Despite some obvious misses, we had a total of 41 species.

Special thanks go to Betsy and Ben Saunders for their help, particularly in
sharing their scope.

Wendy Ealding
Midlothian