[va-richmond-general] Richmond Audubon Society Meeting, Thursday, 6:30PM, May 19, 2016

  • From: Diane Jadlowski <djadski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: *RAS general list <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, *VA Listserve <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 15:18:54 -0400

Richmond Audubon Society Meeting, Thursday, 6:30PM, May 19, 2016

Nest in Peace - Joyce Caldwell, RAS Education Chair, will share her passion for birds as she teaches us about bird nests. Birds use a variety of twigs, leaves, grass, and other materials to construct their nests. It's remarkable that they can fashion such ordinary materials into extraordinary cradles, some so distinctive they are recognizable immediately, others just an educated guess as to the species of bird that made them. Joyce will show us the types of nests birds make, the variety of nesting materials they use, the challenges they face, and the things each of us can do to help birds nest in peace. On display will be the nests of birds that breed in the Richmond area: from the woven pine needle nest of our beautiful Eastern Bluebird and the leafy-mossy dome of the jaunty Carolina Wren to the hidden hanging basket of the Red-eyed Vireo, the delicate lichen-covered masterpiece of the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and more.

We meet at St. Luke Lutheran Church, 7757 Chippenham Pkwy, Richmond. The program begins at 7:00 pm, with coffee, cookies and conversation before hand starting at 6:30 pm.

RAS does not have programs in June but we do have a Annual picnic on June 11^th in the Carillon in Byrd Park.No programs for July or August. Spend your free evenings outdoors enjoying nature with friends and family.

Have a great birding day!
Diane Jadlowski
Publicity Chair
Richmond Audubon Society