[va-richmond-general] Red and Red-necked Phalarope, Charles City Co. 5/7

  • From: akb <arun1bose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 22:08:24 -0400

Hello Birders,
After seeing reports of Red Phalarope from Amherst Co. today I made plans
to bird east of Richmond after work. Adam D'Onofrio had the same idea and
informed me of 2 Red Phalaropes in Charles City Co. I picked up Ellison
Orcut on the way out and Jan Frye was also able to meet us there.

A single apparent female Red Phalarope was was still present and in
addition a Red-necked Phalarope. There was also a decent variety of
shorebirds; around 13 species.

The location is adjacent to the dirt road that leads up to Shirley
Plantation from VA State Rd. 156. If you try for these birds, be aware that
the fields and surrounding property are private. Please do not walk into
the fields or drive anywhere off of the main dirt road. Adequate views are
attainable from the road.

The link below is to my eBird list and also has some for the record
digi-scoped images.

http://ebird.org/ebird/va/view/checklist?subID=S14031727

Arun Bose
Richmond