[va-richmond-general] Rainy day birding -- 18 species of warbler including Connecticut.

  • From: akb <arun1bose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 19:06:32 -0400

Hello Birders,
Fueled by caffeine and Captain's Wafers I spent a work-like 8 hours in the
field today, beginning in Hopewell (with Allen Bryan) and ending at the
James River Park in Richmond. The hinterlands were relatively quiet
compared to JRP, although Malvern Hill was quite birdy.  About 24 Indigo
Buntings, 3 Blue Grosbeak, 12 Bobolink, and small numbers of Song, Field,
Chipping Sparrows, with single Swamp, and Savannah. Also a few Palm Warbler
here including 2 "Eastern".

Notable in the Hopewell area were 2,500 + Laughing Gull on the river, and a
Northern Waterthrush.

Fast forward to around 1:30 when I arrived at Reedy Creek (JRP). In all I
had 62 species here in 3 hours. The highlight being a 1st year type
Connecticut Warbler which was well seen. It popped up on an exposed branch,
maybe 15 ft up, and allowed an unobstructed view for about 2 minutes. A
stocky warbler, with stout bill, pink legs. Dull yellow below and dull
olive above. Faded brownish hood and complete thin white eye ring. A new
city and state bird for me.

Also seen was a late(ish) White-eyed Vireo. Below is the warbler list from
the park -- 16 in all.

Black-and-white Warbler  2
Tennessee Warbler  3
Nashville Warbler  1
Connecticut Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  6
American Redstart  2
Cape May Warbler  1
Northern Parula  1
Magnolia Warbler  5
Bay-breasted Warbler  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2
Blackpoll Warbler  3
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  4
Black-throated Green Warbler  4

Full list here >
http://ebird.org/ebird/va/view/checklist/email?subID=S11736391

The other  warbler species was Pine with a few at Harrison Lake Fish
Hatchery.

Arun Bose
Richmond