[va-richmond-general] Re: RB Grosbeaks

  • From: Al Warfield <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 08:38:52 -0400

Today we have 3 RB Grosbeaks at the feeders, all males. One is doing fine at
the safflower feeder, fending off the other birds, except the mockingbird.
Another prefers the suet cake. The third has not learned how to feed at the
tube feeders yet. He stradles on the metal haanger that hold the feeder up,
and tries to get the seed through the clear plastic tube. If he starts to go
toward the perches the other one flaps and pecks him off. Finally he hops
down and eats the scraps under the feeder.
I know what you're thinking - how does he have time for this? Good question!

Al Warfield