[va-richmond-general] RAS field trip report - Craney Island Disposal Area, Portsmouth, VA 10-05-13

  • From: akb <arun1bose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 21:47:41 -0400

Fourteen birders joined Richmond Audubon at Craney Island this past
Saturday. It was hot, but the bugs were few. We found 68 species (including
a dead on road Virginia Rail).
This also included 15 species of shorebird. With 3 Peregrine making regular
strafing runs the shorebirds were difficult to pin down, although we had
great opportunity to study Western, Least and Semipalmated Sandpiper at
close range.

Other highlights included a confiding an American Bittern, Whimbrel hunting
caterpillars on the road, American Avocet, 5 American Golden Plover, late
Bank and Barn Swallow.

As Elisa mentioned in a previous post Craney Island can only be entered
with permission from the Army Corps.

It was nice to see Cape Henry Audubon also in the field, we appreciate the
heads up on the Whimbrel and Avocet.

RAS species list is here

Some photos from the trip are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arun_birdphotos/