[va-richmond-general] RAS Midlothian Mines field trip SCHEDULE CHANGE

  • From: Wendy Ealding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 17:05:03 -0500 (EST)

I checked out Midlothian Mines this afternoon to assess the conditions for
tomorrow morning's scheduled field trip.

The gate to the parking lot by the pithead display (west side of Woolridge
Road) is closed, however the parking lot on the east side of the road is open
and reasonably ice free.  I walked across the road and found that there is open
water, hosting a large number of waterfowl, on the far west side of the lake.
I did not have the scope with me but, scanning from the overlook with binos, I
could see that there were at least 50 Shovelers, 15 Redheads, 30 Mallard, a few
Ringnecks, a Hooded Merganser and a Gadwall which is a first for this site.

The paved trail appears to be reasonably clear although I did not hike it.
Tomorrow's forecast is for a low temperature of 19 degrees with a wind chill in
the single digits.  I am changing the trip time to the afternoon, starting at 2
PM, and meeting in the parking lot on the east side of the road.

Wendy Ealding