[va-richmond-general] RAS Cumberland Marsh Field Trip

  • From: "Jerry Uhlman" <flyways@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <VA-Richmond-General@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:24:39 -0400

A half-dozen hardy birders were not deterred by the early morning drizzle and
fog and trekked through TNC's Cumberland Marsh near New Kent on Saturday, April
19th.  Long quiet periods were interrupted by feeding flocks, and beside the
common birds there were a pair of ospreys fishing over the marsh, a stealthy
catbird near the observation platform and a few warbler species heard and seen
in the trees: palm, yellow-rumped, yellow-throated and pine.

A good deal of effort was needed to find a pesky white-eyed vireo among vines
and thickets, and one of several singing ovenbirds who was an accomplished
ventriloquist.  Despite all our best efforts we could not make a peregrine
falcon out of a turkey vulture sitting on the Cumberland Hospital watertower.

Unalike the James River parks and Henricus Park, Cumberland Marsh is probably
two weeks away from high migration season.  Despite the meager yield our
intrepid band had an enjoyable rain-free outing.

Jerry Uhlman
flyways@xxxxxxxxx