[va-richmond-general] Re: Question about birding by ear

  • From: Lisa Mease <kunsthure@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 11:50:11 -0400

Thank you all for your responses!  The BT Blue imitating a Cerulean well
enough to trick much more experienced birders than I is the reason I'm
hesitant to bird by ear.  The regional variations and each bird's
interpretation of the song make things much more complicated for me.  For
instance, I have 6-8 Eastern Towhees living on my dog walking route.  None
of them have the same song, and they don't sound much like example
recordings.  There are hints of similarity, like the Towhee metallic
reverberation and no other species has that, but so many warbler species
have a rapid, complex, clear whistle song that I don't know if I'd ever be
able to sort them all out.

I do get frustrated when I *know* I'm standing in front of the tree a bird
is singing from and I can't find the darn thing, but I'd rather not report
something at all than to make a bad report.  I guess I'll just have to wait
til the fall migration when there are fewer leaves to see these birds you
all hear.  :)

-Lisa