[va-richmond-general] Re: Purple martin roost, 15th Annual Purple Martin Field Day

  • From: "kingston" <kingston@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:37:00 -0400

 Don't forget about the
15th Annual Purple Martin Field Day

Sat. June 27 - 9:30 – Noon,  Free

Woods Farm in Louisa

Contact: Mr Kingston 434-293-5173
http://www.purplemartin.org/meetings/

The featured speaker, Mr. Lance D. Wood, is an expert on Purple Martins and
colony management and has published several articles on the subject.

Topics to be covered in this presentation include:

  a.. how to establish and increase a colony of Purple Martins
  b.. advantages and disadvantages of different types of martin housing
  c.. protecting martins from snakes, owls, raccoons, House Sparrows,
Starlings, etc.
  d.. adding starling-resistant entrance holes to martin gourds and houses
  e.. protecting martin housing from windstorms and other hazards
  f.. how to grow and process natural gourds for Purple Martin nesting