[va-richmond-general] Prothonotary preparations at Dutch Gap

  • From: Bob Reilly <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Listserv Posting Address <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:45:13 -0400

The tough winter took its toll on nest boxes at Dutch Gap, with about 30 of the 160 boxes being lost. Replaced all but three today and will get those done next week. Won't be long now. Expecting the first older males to arrive in the 4/1-4/15 window. Saw no tree swallows today, but heard many yellow-throated warblers. Beautiful day to be out there. Saw my first Prothonotary of the season back on March 13th while canoing in Louisiana, along with several large alligators. Kind of glad we don't have the latter at Dutch Gap, although I believe they could survive in the old river channel with its warm water discharge from the power station!

Best,
Bob Reilly