[va-richmond-general] Prince William Co. landfill

  • From: "JANICE FRYE" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'va-bird'" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:35:54 -0500

On the way to a class in Fairfax I made a short stop at the landfill.
Didn't have a lot of time, but I learned a few things and even saw a few
birds.  Some tips for first-time visitors:  go to the right where it says
business traffic, go to the scalehouse for pointers on where to drive and
park, 4wd is a very good thing to have, tall rubber boots and a trash bag to
put them in might be wise (shoe-sucking mud almost got my low cut waterproof
shoes), take Vicks and maybe a hat or raincoat if you have a meeting to go
to (you're looking for seagulls in a landfill.  Use your imagination.), a
change of clothes might be good just in case.  Not sure how bad the mud is
when there's not a lot of precipitation the night before-maybe someone else
can comment on that?    The lady there was very nice and clearly cares about
birds, and she confirmed that weekends are easier on the staff and probably
safer for the birder.  Some birds I had time to ID were:  bald eagle (2
adults), Am. Crow, fish crow, Gr. Black-backed gull.  I was starting on gull
plumages when I dropped a book in the mud-that was when a small gull with
black/dark legs and a black tip on the bill whizzed by.  It looked mostly
white.  Did not get to find it again because I was out of time.  Maybe
tomorrow.  All in all it was a very interesting trip and one I will
definitely make again.  If you are not from around there and are making a
day of it, you can add on both Mason Necks, Pohick Bay, Huntley Meadows, and
Dyke Marsh/Belle Haven Marina (all accessed along Rt. 1 and easy to google
and mapquest).

Jan