[va-richmond-general] Powhatan Wildlife Management Area, 4/5

  • From: "Kim Cook" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "kccook42@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: RAS Listserv <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 22:00:34 +0000 (UTC)

| The target bird this chilly Easter morning was Wild Turkey, and the woods did
not disappoint. Gobblers, Great-horned/Barred Owls engaged vigorously in their
usual spring exchanges at dawn. Woodpecker drumming was so out of control, it
practically gave me a headache. Other notables included White-eyed Vireo,
Louisiana Waterthrush, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Black-and-white Warbler, Northern
Parula, at least half a dozen Red-headed Woodpeckers, a pair of Blue-winged
Teal, and more Blue Jays than I think I've ever seen on a single outing. I
swung by a small Great-blue Heron rookery I happened upon last spring to find
it apparently unoccupied this year.
Off-topic, for those interested, there were plenty of American Toads and
Pickerel Frogs calling, and a few butterflies about.
Happy Spring,Kim Cook