[va-richmond-general] Powhatan State Park, 4/19/15

  • From: "Kim Cook" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "kccook42@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: RAS Listserv <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 19:17:34 +0000 (UTC)

Apologies for the late post; seems the first one didn't get through.
Took a lap around Powhatan State Park Sunday.  There was plenty of wind ahead
of the afternoon rain, but the fields were full of singing Common Yellowthroats
and---wait for it---Field Sparrows!  Heard my FOS Wood Thrush and Indigo
Buntings, and a Screech Owl trilling near the forest edge.  Quite a few
Ovenbirds, Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireos, Northern Parulas, Northern
Bobwhites, and what I can only guess were hundreds of American Goldfinches
chattering and feeding on caterpillars in the riverbottom canopy.  A couple of
Northern Harriers blew past me on my way our.
  Hope everyone is finding at least a little time to get outside and enjoy the
beauty of it all.
Kim Cook