[va-richmond-general] Possible Bullock's Oriole

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Audubon Listserve" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:12:52 -0400

I received a call today (Monday 7/19/04) from Mr. Walter Robinson, who lives at
Sandy Point in Charles City County near Barrett's Bridge (the famous one with
current mechanical problems over the Chickahominy River). He has been observing
birds all his life, and he saw one "about the size of a cowbird, but with a
black and orange head a day or two ago. He did not see a large white covert
(patch) on the shoulder, but that may have been because of the position of the
bird. He thinks it may be a Bullock's Oriole.
It was not likely a female Baltimore - too orange for that.
Does anyone have any info on whether that was possible? Like previous sightings
in that part of VA? My AviSys software  indicates that the bird is occasional
in eastern VA, but there is no seasonal info. Sibley's also indicates that
sightings have been made in that general area.
Mr. Robinson's phone number is 804-829-5733, and he is there most of the time.
The habitat where the bird was seen is farmland (cornfield) near the James
River with a small strip of wood nearby. Not marshy habitat. There is no other
dwelling within 2 miles of the location. He has looked for the bird since then,
but it has not been seen again.

Other possibilities I can think of are: Cliff Swallow (probably too small),
Blackburnian Warbler (too small, wrong habitat), Bay-breasted Warbler (size &
habitat wrong), or Black-headed Grosbeak (not much orange on head other than
1st winter).

Al Warfield
743-1479 or email: warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx