[va-richmond-general] Piney Grove Trip-Sunday 9 December 2007 TIME CHANGE

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:49:15 +0000

Join Bobby Clontz of The Nature Conservancy as we bird the Piney Grove Preserve
in Sussex County. The target bird is the Red-cockaded Woodpecker. Only a small
population of this bird inhabits Virginia. In May, nestlings were banded before
they left the nest. We can help TNC on this trip by identifying banded birds.

Details:

When: Dec. 9, 2007 6:45am THIS IS A TIME CHANGE.
Where: Meet at Adams Country Store about 4 miles past Waverly on Route 460. We
will leave the store at 6:45 am.
Why: An opportunity to see a seldom seen bird and contribute to the
conservation efforts of this bird.
Who: anyone interested
How: Contact me at 530.3660 in the evenings or off this list serv at
juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
What: Be prepared for cold weather, dress in layers, bring scopes, binoculars,
snacks and sturdy water-proof boots. There is usually a stop at the Virginia
Diner tied in with this trip to anyone interested.

Also-Bobby advises participants to dress in unobtrusive colors.

Hope you can make it-we usually do this trip in the spring so this will be an
interesting contrast. You must register to attend so we have an accurate
accounting of attendees. Also our success in seeing the birds is based on
getting to their nest sites before they leave for the day. You snooze-you
looze.....
For more information visit this site
http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/virginia/preserves/art4982.html

Julie Kacmarcik