[va-richmond-general] Phoebe question

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <VA-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:19:24 -0500

I saw what had to be an Eastern Phoebe at school this morning during our hour
delay. It confused me, however, because it didn't call FEE-bee, nor did it make
a single call note as described in various field guides. Instead, it made a
short, quick, soft, double-note call that resembled "chip-chip" or "chib-beck."
The two notes were equally accented (or rather, neither note was accented). The
bird looked and acted (tail pumping and flycatching behavior) like an Eastern
Phoebe in every other way. Could this have been a young bird that hadn't
learned its song/call completely? Anyone else ever hear a Phoebe sound like I
described? Thanks.
Michael Shapiro
Short Pump
(bird observed in Cumberland)